Friday, 2 May 2014

Annette Messager

Annete Messager:



In the series My Vows, begun in 1988, Messager presented images of body parts in dense clusters on walls. The photographs resemble ex-votos and devotional offerings found in chapels and pilgrimage places: each shows only a fragment and is attached to the wall with a length of string. The individual photographs of My Vows picture isolated body parts; hung in groups they do not constitute a body but mix bodies: old and young, nurturing and indifferent, aroused and at rest, male and female

Ref: http://www.moma.org/interactives/exhibitions/1995/messager/myvows.html



I appreciate the presentation style of the work. The manner in which it is suspended in frames and layered into a mass of images which together create a new form. It is uncomfortable to me, as though showing personal things that should reman private. I also feel that it is quite a tense piece. If I was to now view this in person I would expect to feel a recoil from the images as they are densely clustered and feel incredibly "up close". 


No comments:

Post a Comment